Benefits of Membership
NOFHA is a membership-based health care practice. It is not a community health center. Only people who are employed and uninsured may join as members of the health care practice. It provides primary care services like a regular doctor’s office. It is not a hospital and does not operate an emergency room.
Our focus is on improving the health of our members over the long term. We believe that good health is more than just not feeling sick. That’s why we emphasize the relationships between physical, spiritual, and emotional health and wellness. When you become a member of our practice, we promise to see you quickly when you are not feeling well or need medical attention but we also want to see you and talk with you when you’re feeling okay because we want to work with you on improving and managing your health. That’s why we expect every member to work with us in developing a personal health plan. The plan will identify your personal health goals and describe how you can achieve them. As a member, you will have direct access to our health management team – the doctor, nurse, counselors, health educators, and care coordinators – in carrying out your plan. We’ll answer your questions, direct you to appropriate health and wellness resources, provide you with ongoing support, and coach you on how to get healthy and stay healthy. In return, we expect that you will make a commitment to working hard at achieving your health goals so that you and your family can enjoy a long and healthy life.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS
- Health care you can afford
- A fixed appointment fee regardless of the services received or time required
- Access to a personal physician who knows you
- Priority status for medical appointments
- Referrals for specialty services (May entail additional costs)
- Coordination and management of all health care services: physical, spiritual, and emotional
- Personalized care and attention
- Information and education on issues related to your health
- A personal health plan
- Direct access to a team of health care experts
- A direct role in understanding and managing your own health needs
- Access to discount pharmacy programs
Who Is Eligible To Join
Anyone meeting the following three criteria is eligible to join NOFHA regardless of income. Membership is renewable annually.
Must reside in Orleans, Jefferson, Plaquemines, or St. Bernard Parish
Must be 18 to 65 years of age, or
Over 65, employed, and not eligible for Medicare
Must be employed at the time of enrollment:
No less than 30 hours/week
No less than 20 hours/week
Single Custodial Parent with child<6:
No work requirement
Fees & Payments
Your family size and annual income will determine the amount you pay for each medical appointment. The minimum fee for a member whose family income falls below the federal poverty level is $15 per medical appointment. The fee increases as family income increases. Individuals and families earning more than 330% of the federal poverty level pay $75 per appointment plus a percentage of the actual cost of services. A detailed fee schedule is available at the orientation session.
Your appointment fee is determined when you first enroll (see the Enrollment Process below) and is re-assessed annually with your membership renewal. You may also request a re-assessment of the fee if your employment/income changes during the year. Once the fee is determined, you will know in advance the amount that you will be expected to pay for each medical appointment. The fee is payable at the time of the appointment. An additional small fee may be charged for laboratory tests or medications.
How To Enroll
There are 3 steps to enrolling as a member with NOFHA.
- Attend a 40 minute group orientation session:
- Mondays & Fridays 12:30 – 1:10 P.M.
- Wednesdays 5:30 – 6:10 P.M.
- Saturdays (to be determined)
Call NOFHA in advance to schedule your attendance at an orientation: (504) 486-8585
- Complete the Enrollment Forms and provide verification of:
- Family members
- Schedule an appointment with staff to:
- Review your Enrollment/Eligibility
- Determine the fee you will be expected to pay for medical appointments
- Pay your membership fee (same amount as your appointment fee)
- Complete a medical history and health risk questionnaire
- Schedule your first appointment with the doctor (first appointment is free with the payment of the membership fee)
Walk-In Clinic For Non-Members
NOFHA provides urgent medical care on a walk-in basis for people who are not members of the health care practice. Walk-ins are seen on a space-available basis during regular hours of operation. You are encouraged to call in advance of your arrival to discuss your medical need and schedule an appointment with the doctor. Depending on your medical condition and insurance status, we may refer you to a more appropriate health care provider in the area. Those with serious injuries or emergency health conditions will be referred to an emergency department at a local hospital.
The fee for walk-in medical care is $40.00 and is payable upon arrival at the clinic. NOFHA does not accept private insurance, Medicaid, or Medicare payments.